I just finished this Goldberg Tiger 60 rebuild that I received as a gift. I have explained it in full on the
Models Under Construction page. The link is at the bottom of the Airplanes main page.

Click Here

 


                             


We have had a lot of rain this season, so I have had time to finish up some inside projects and more planes
for the fly-ins this year. One of the projects is this Slipstream 80" Chipmunk. I have always wanted a Chipmunk
and bought this from a gentleman in Ohio for a reasonable price. He flew it with a Saito 1.80. I have installed
a RCGF 35cc. Other additions are Robart Robo-struts and 3.25" wheels, instrument panel and pilot. One of the
best mods is removing the elevator servos from the tail and installed a World Models bell crank assembly
and driven with a Dave Brown fiberglass pushrod. By doing this, it only required 1.5 oz. of nose weight.

 


                              


While in Perry, GA at the RC swap this year, I picked up this Hobbico Sukhoi SU-31 for $50. I could not
pass it up as it had an O.S. 91 4 stroke in it. surely it was worth that. The plane had issues. It was dirty,
wrinkled and lots of broken parts. It was fuel soaked from a ruptured fuel tank, the engine box and
firewall was broken apart as well as the landing gear mount. The tail section was a mess, horizontal stab
was broken loose and rudder hinges were pulled loose. Well...epoxy, iron, heat gun made a big improvement
and it came together well. I added a pilot and instrument panel to dress up the cockpit and it is ready.

 

                             


We have had our share of rainy days this year so I have been building. My shop is getting crowded.
This is a 80" P51 I purchased from Value Hobby probably 6 years ago. I purchased this one for several
reasons. It is much like the World Models (WM) but has nicer features. It has wing fillets and a nicer 3
piece cowl. My WM Double Trouble II did not have wing fillets and I fabricated some when I built it. I
also like this color scheme which is "Moonbeam McSwine". It was later changed to "Excalibur" and I
purchased new nose art. I removed the mechanical retracts and installed Robart air up/spring down
retracts. They are much nicer and did not require much wing modification. Then I packed it up for our
move from CA. I pulled it out of the attic about 4-6 months back with intentions of finally finishing it.
It is powered with a AGM30 (DLE30 knockoff) that I flew in my 80" Spitfire. I sold the Spitfire and
this engine is a perfect fit for this plane. I used a tiller bar setup for the elevators rather than the
stock dual pushrod. It weighs in at just over 15 lbs. and I placed the receiver battery in the air scoop
behind the wing to achieve the proper CG.  This thing should fly like a bullet.

 


 

 

 

Return to Jon's Airplane Page